By: Sarah Copeland
I admit, I already have a bias opinion about this topic. But I promise to remain objective so that I can put forth the facts. This blog is for the purpose of providing the pros and cons of working in a PR firm or for an in-house position. And just basically, the overall differences between the two options.
Decided between a firm or a corporation is a question that all PR majors come to eventually. Do we want to apply to work in a firm or would we rather try and find a job in-house? However, it isn’t something addressed in our classes. So I went out to find my own answers.
Obviously, there are major differences between agencies and in-house roles. And there are several questions to address before making a decision. These include: Where would it be better to work for future career opportunities? Which option has a higher paycheck? But the most important question should be: What would be a better fit for my work preferences? Hopefully, these pros and cons can help answer that.
Corporate Organizations (in-house)
- -Can become experts on the industry
- -Sense of true dedication
- -More responsibility to promote that one brand
- -You can market something you really believe in
- -Better to be on site during a crisis (more info available)
- -Traditional job with (possibly) higher paychecks
- -Harder to advance (to get promotions)
- -If you don’t like a niche focus
- -Co-workers (outside PR) don’t understand what you do
- -Wide range and variety of clients
- -On-the-job learning
- -More frequent opportunities for promotions
- -Lively and creative culture
- -Good training ground to exposed to everything PR
- -Fast-paced environment
- -Have to take the accounts you are assigned to
- -Juggling responsibilities of multiple clients
- -Expensive for small businesses to afford
- -Until you move up, limited income
From my research, it looks like the debate about which is better could go either way. So, to put it simply, the decision is yours. And the bright side is, PR professionals switch sides all the time. Therefore, the decision isn’t always final.
Adams, B. (2013, January 16). 5 major differences between agency and in-house PR. Retrieved April 01, 2016, from http://www.prdaily.com/Main/Articles/5_major_differences_between_agency_and_inhouse_PR_13582.aspx
Dale, E. (2014, September 2). PR agency vs. in-house? Retrieved April 01, 2016, from http://www.prweek.com/article/1309975/pr-agency-vs-in-house
Edwards, I. (2012, March 24). What are the differences between working in-house and at an agency? Retrieved April 01, 2016, from https://www.quora.com/What-are-the-differences-between-working-in-house-and-at-an-agency
Johnston, S. (n.d.). Advertising, PR — Blogs, Articles and Jobs – Experience.com. Retrieved April 01, 2016, from https://www.experience.com/alumnus/article?channel_id=advertising_marketing_pr
Nazar, M. (2016, January 26). Here’s the definitive answer to picking agency vs. in-house life – Corporate Ink. Retrieved April 01, 2016, from http://www.corporateink.com/heres-the-definitive-answer-to-picking-agency-vs-in-house-life/
Winchel, B. (2015, December 30). 5 differences between in-house and agency PR. Retrieved April 01, 2016, from http://www.prdaily.com/Main/Articles/5_differences_between_inhouse_and_agency_PR__18683.aspx